Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cupcake walk


With some sugar, flour, butter, cocoa and patience, Libby and Naomi created an edible flower-bed of cupcakes Saturday afternoon. Naomi helped me mix up the chocolate cake batter and spoon it into the muffin tins. Then she measured powdered sugar, shortening and butter for frosting while I dug my decorating tips and bags out of one of the kitchen cupboards. 

I completed a Wilton Cake Decorating coarse in high school but retired from cake decorating a few years later when my wrists began protesting. I was able to relive my old hobby Saturday afternoon as I tried to explain about frosting consistency and the correct amount of pressure. Through trial and error the girls produced a beautiful assortment of pastel colored, flowered cupcakes.

The cupcakes were the attraction at a cake walk Sunday afternoon after we shared a meal with our friends. We set the cupcakes around the table, one per place. Then in musical-chairs-style the participants marched around the table, scrambling to claim a chair and corresponding cupcake when the music ceased. There were plenty of chairs and cakes at our walk and everyone received a cupcake to either eat or take home.



Waiting for the cupcake walk to begin

No comments:

Post a Comment