Friday, July 1, 2011

Blueberry lemonade

"Hey, can you bring us something cold to drink?" Brian asked Libby. Then he added, "And not that stuff Amy made."

Even while laboring under the afternoon sun on the pole barn the boys were leery of my beverage creations. 

I've been experimenting with cool, refreshing drinks. I have to admit Brian was justified in qualifying his beverage request. The results of my attempts have been less than satisfactory.  I've even used (and in a couple of cases, actually followed) recipes. 

First I tried watermelon lemonade and concluded that I appreciate my watermelon separate from my lemonade. Then Naomi and I combined the ingredients for raspberry lemonade. The fact that the half-empty pitcher sat untouched on the table all afternoon should attest to its popularity. Next I tried a recipe for lemonade that was so sweet it was like syrup. Once I diluted it with more sparkling water it received average reviews. Lauren Mae was the only one who liked the almond tea. The cucumber punch was a novelty--interesting and refreshing--but not something I'd want to sip too often.

Yesterday I tried yet again. Blueberries will be ripe in a couple of weeks and we are always looking for new recipes to share with our customers. So I concocted blueberry lemonade. After the first sip I concluded that this recipe was a winner. I may even be able to convince Brian to give it a try.

Blueberry Lemonade

3/4 cup sugar
2 cups water
peel of 1 lemon, cut in strips
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
juice of 4 lemons (about 1 cup)

8 cups water
8 cups carbonated water
Combine sugar and 2 cups water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add lemon peel and blueberries and boil for five minutes. Remove from heat. Strain lemon peel and blueberries and discard. Add lemon juice to blueberry liquid. Refrigerate mixture until cool. 
Before serving, combine blueberry mixture with water and sparkling water. Serve over ice. 
Makes 4-5 quarts.

3 comments:

  1. If it tastes as good as it looks, it will be a winner indeed! Sometime you might enjoy trying this "Orange Slushy" drink. It is a real winner in our home. In a blender, combine 1 can frozen orange juice, 2 cups milk, 2 tsp. vanilla extract, and 24 ice cubes. (You can also add 1/4 cup sugar, but it's really not necessary.) Blend to desired consistency. This makes about 7 small cups.

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. if the taste is anything like the picture it must be wonderful. We are getting blueberries right now so I'll have to give it a try.

    BTW: I've been learning a little about food combining (what works together in your body instead of what works in your mouth)and melons don't go with anything-no more watermelon in fruit salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe!
    And an amazing photograph.

    ReplyDelete