Saturday, July 16, 2016

Kayaking the Sturgeon


The secretary told me about kayaking down the Sturgeon River with its fast current, twists and turns and fallen trees.

"I would like to do that," I said.

"Oh, you don't want to do that," she said, telling me about getting stuck between logs and her daughter nearly tipping over.

Two days later, we scrounged up  enough canoes and kayaks for eleven of us to go down the Sturgeon River, which is the fastest river in Michigan's lower peninsula. We put in at the Old Railroad Bridge and (most of us) got out at Upper White Road (Aaron and Lauren Mae missed the landing and at the next road.

It was a trip!

It was fast, challenging and thrilling. Everyone made it to the end with minimal bumps, bruises and close calls. The tight curves and fast current made it very difficult to maneuver the canoes and my parents ended up crashing into more than one log pile (and mom was afraid of being decapitated once or twice).

It was an exhilarating trip. I would love to go again. Though, next time we will leave the canoes behind.





No comments:

Post a Comment