Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Chicken in the pot

Saturday morning in the grayness of November dawn, Brian, Libby and Logan chased and caught twenty-one squawking chickens. Brian hooked the livestock trailer behind our fifteen passenger van, and later Dad, Mom and some of the children hauled the chickens to Rosebush, Michigan. The Shrock family, who recently came out of the Amish, agreed to butcher our chickens for us again this year. Libby wanted to learn the process, so she stayed to help while the rest of the family returned home.

A few hours later, Mr. Shrock with a daughter and two sons delivered the chickens and Libby to our house. Mr. Shrock was eager for an excuse to practice his driving, since he has his learner's permit and was able to arrange for their former driver to ride along. His daughter told him that he drove like an Amish man.

We had chicken and potatoes for dinner Saturday and chicken and rice soup on Monday evening. The chickens were a little tough. We should have had them butchered earlier, but we didn't have freezer space. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the blue background on the live chicken pic. Was there something in the pen that was blue or did you add that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue is from the tarp that Libby used to cover the movable chicken coop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that your friends were able to butcher your chickens for you! I am sure that you are happy to have them all in your freezer now!

    By the way, I have been trying to comment on your blog for awhile, but for some reason the comment box was not working so I am trying on my sister's computer . . . hopefully this works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah--I am glad you were able to comment now. I will try to keep my eyes open to see if there's some problem on my side.

    ReplyDelete