Monday, November 8, 2010

Taffy pull

We buttered our hands and pulled taffy at the Bylers' house Friday evening. David boiled the sugary concoction earlier in the day, and after a short devotional, our church group became candy makers.

Taffy must be pulled to introduce air to the sugary substance. After fifteen minutes or so of aerobic exercise, the taffy is transformed from a caramel-colored blob to fluffy, cream-colored lengths of chewy candy.

To pull the taffy, we paired up on either side of a table. We rolled the sticky brown substance into a rope and stretched it between us in a z-shape. Then the pulling and grabbing rhythm began. 

I hadn't pulled taffy in years, and was surprised that I remembered the rhythm. Amanda and I pulled against each other, and we literally pulled with all our weight. Taffy pulling isn't for wimps. That is why I disentangled my fingers after a few minutes and let Logan finish the batch for me.

I pulled enough to entitle me to savor a few pieces of the candy. I admit, though, that even better than the final product, no matter how sweet and airy, is the process of pulling taffy with friends.





7 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun!
    -Nawal

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee, it looks like Amanda is wearing hair net... I wouldn't put it past her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and of course, everyone scrubbed their hands with hot soapy water...

    It looks like fun and it also looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Hot soapy water and a scrub brush for fingernails. The nurse even used alcohol swabs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you didn't get any of that sticky on your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! The next-to-last picture.

    .
    .
    .

    Let me guess: Amanda's mouth??

    :)

    ReplyDelete