Friday, February 5, 2010

NPO

Tuesday's contribution to the window series

O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
Psalm 63:1 NIV

NPO is the abbreviation for the Latin phrase nil per os that means, "nothing by mouth." It's the code posted outside Julie's door.

It means no food.
No juice or Jello.
No water.
No ice chips.

It means dry.
Desolate.
Deserted.

It means questions, especially the ones directed at God and beginning with "Why...?"

The doctors suspect Julie's gallbladder and pancreas are causing the pain she has experienced the past week. To give her organs a break she is limited to fluid through her IV. Betsy also experienced a time of NPO when she was in ICU. When they took her ice chips away Betsy cried because, "It was the only thing I had." NPO is tough!

5 comments:

  1. Julie, I cried for you too. I despise NPO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Julie:

    Praying that the Lord will refresh you with His living water, and nourish you with the food of His Word, and satisfy you in ways that you never dreamed possible.

    I believe the English translation of NPO is: Near, Powerful, Omnipresent.

    ~ Love you! ~ Betsy O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Julie, this must be hard, we are praying for all of you.
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie graduated to a clear liquid diet!

    ReplyDelete