Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Together


For the first time since the accident three weeks ago, our family was together. After most of the family returned home from church on Sunday we wrapped dishes of baked beans and ham in towels and set them in cardboard boxes. Then we drove to the rehab center.

Julie's roommate was transfered back to the main hospital so we had the entire room to ourselves. The nurses brought us extra chairs and we filled the entire room.

Before dinner we prayed together. Our tradition is that before meals Dad begins and Mom ends the prayer with each of us from youngest to oldest adding our prayer. On Sunday my prayer was "Thank you that we are all together."

Sitting on folding chairs, or in Julie's case lying in bed, we balanced plastic plates and ate our Sunday dinner of Brian's favorite baked beans and baked potatoes. Then Logan scooped lime and raspberry sherbet for dessert (Julie is on a low-fat diet because of her gallbladder so sherbet is the closest she could get to ice cream).

We even rolled the piano from the day room so that we could sing together after our meal.








Photo credit: Leon

6 comments:

  1. Wow...what a blessing to be able to enjoy your traditional Sunday dinner all together, despite being in different surroundings! I'm just tickled that you could even have a piano and music there...I bet Julie really enjoyed that!

    She once told our family that God had given her such a gift--her family. She's right.

    What's going on with her gallbladder, by the way?

    ~ Betsy O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite entry so far! God is so good! :)

    Love you guys!
    Lauren-Mae Spiker

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great family time you must have had. I wish I could have been there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this had me in tears! I love the picture at the top with your mom and dad and Julie singing behind. I'll be you all had the workers talking for the next few days! Who knows what sort of seeds have been planted by this crisis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sending us your blog. Thank you for the pictures and the words.I read your blog with my mom.
    Love - Lydia Isley

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures of your parents are precious, Amy. I agree with Kristen: just think of the "buzz." Thanks to the testimony of your daily walk as you have been there with Julie, Sunday was just the "cherry on the top." This is how I came to the Lord: someone acted so differently, and I knew she "had" was what I longed for, before I knew exactly what "it" was.

    God is using your faithfulness...

    ReplyDelete