Saturday, January 1, 2011

Random

Each year Lake Superior State University proposes a list of overused or misused words that should be banished from the English language. This year's list includes the words "epic" and "fail," as well as "google" when it is used as a verb. I was disappointed to find that my current, least-favorite word was overlooked. 

I propose that the word, "random," should be banished.

That's so random!

There is no such thing as a random thought, or word, or action. Our lives are controlled by order, not chance. In our universe, an example of randomness is rare. Even some random number generators aren't truly random.

Life is not random. It is planned, controlled, designed.


Thanks for indulging my rant. Do you have a word you wish was banished?

5 comments:

  1. My mom doesn't like 'OMG' and I don't like 'whatever'.
    - Nawal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your mom Nawal. "Whatever" can be annoying as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like "unreal". As in, "Last night was unreal." It HAD to be real! There is no possible way it wasn't real!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't like made up texting words, if they can even be called words!

    Example: Sry, I cnt cm 2 ur house tmrw. Its 2 cld. MayB nxt tm.

    Does it really take that much longer to write the words in their fullness? :)

    I really enjoy your blog, by the way!
    ~Cora

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You are like, so totally right, Amy!"

    I nominate any word of the above phrase. I'm also not a fan of "epic" and "fail."

    ~Bianca

    ReplyDelete