Friday, May 8, 2009

At school


"So who are you today?" the teachers ask when they see me in the hallway between classes. In teacher lingo they're asking which teacher I am substituting for.

I've spent most of the week as a substitute teacher.

On Monday I subbed in Woodshop, CAD class and "Why Try?" In Woodshop I spent the hour telling the students what they couldn't do. No tipping a bookshelf on another student; no tying a string across a doorway; no bouncing wood on the concrete floor. I left with sawdust tickling my nose.

On Tuesday I subbed in "Peer-to-Peer," World History, U.S. History, and Online Classes. Did you know that 40% of women admit to having thrown footwear at men? I didn't know until a student told me. 

On Wednesday I was back in "my" classroom with American Literature, British Literature and Publications. We had a fire drill during second hour, which the students appreciated. While working on the yearbook, students expanded their vocabulary--hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of big words.

Yesterday I was a student. To be certified as a teacher in Michigan I had to complete CPR and First Aid training. So I practiced chest compressions on a dummy. Unfortunately Annie didn't make it.

Today I am a science teacher. Rumor is that the Seniors are providing the teachers with lunch. Then we're having an assembly for the last two hours. I can't image what I will learn at school today...

3 comments:

  1. You are getting quite an education. Just remember 76.4% of statistics quoted are made up on the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I saw this t-shirt that said "I'm correct 98% of the time, and the other 3% doesn't matter"

    ReplyDelete