Tuesday, March 17, 2009

One of the reasons


"Miss Cook, I need to talk to you," she said.

"Okay, right now, or just sometime?" I asked, keeping an eye on the boys in the back row and imaging the chaos that could irrupt if I left the classroom at this point in the lesson.

"Just sometime," she said. "It could be at the end of the class."

A few minutes later when I had passed out a problem and given instructions on determining the probability of independent and dependent events, I asked my student to step into the hall for our talk. 

"I wanted to say I'm sorry for the way I've been acting in class," she said. "I'm going to try to get my grade up and do better."

And that is one of the reasons I am a teacher.

4 comments:

  1. yeah! That's better than a good round of Hokey-Pokey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    This is Unc Keith. I'm using Carolyn's response system here. Just wanted to say, "Wow, That is really cool." It is very inspiring to see those moments when a student does something like that. Thanks for sharing it.
    Unc Keith

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, Amy! I am sure it warmed your heart to hear that.

    ReplyDelete