Thursday, August 7, 2008

Reason #13

Why I enjoy running the blueberry farm
I try new blueberry recipes

Blueberry Granola
Today I mixed a quadruple batch of granola. Sabrina from the Chamber of Commerce told us that she adds fresh blueberries to her granola. I used our Cinnamon-Apple Granola recipe, decreasing the moist ingredients and substituting blueberries for the dried apples.
16 cups rolled oats
2 cups coconut
4 cups nuts, finely chopped
2 cups sesame seed
4 teaspoons cinnamon
dash of salt
1 1/2 cups honey
1 1/2 cups oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 cups fresh blueberries
Mix oats, coconut, nuts, sesame seed, salt and cinnamon in a huge bowl. Combine oil, honey and vanilla; add to oats mixture. Add blueberries and stir thoroughly. Spread in four 9x13" pans and bake at 350F, stirring every 8 to 10 minutes for 25 to 30 minutes. Store in tightly covered containers in the refrigerator or freezer. Yield 4 quarts. 
 
Blueberry Vinegar
I tried this unusual recipe a few weeks ago after searching for a non-dessert blueberry recipe. The vinegar is a beautiful maroon, has a slight berry flavor and is perfect for salad dressing. When we have fresh spinach, I would like to toss a salad of spinach, blueberries, mandarin oranges and sliced almonds, with a dressing of equal parts of blueberry vinegar and salad oil. 
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup blueberries
slice of lemon
sprig of fresh mint
In a small pan heat vinegar and blueberries until hot. Crush the blueberries with the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and add lemon and mint. Pour into a quart jar and cover. Let steep in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 days.
In a small pan heat vinegar. Remove from heat and strain out the lemon, mint, and crushed blueberries. Pour vinegar in a jar. Keep in a cool place. Yield 1 pint.

3 comments:

  1. Amy--was that really 2 CUPS of sesame seed? Where do you buy that in large quantities? I usually see it in small jars in the spice section.

    Betsy O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It's two cups. We get our spices bulk from a food co-op. You can leave the sesame seeds out--I probably would if I had to buy them in little jars at the store. You could add sunflower seeds, or more coconut, or another kind of nuts in place of the sesame seeds. Or you can make it without sesame seeds. I've done that and I don't miss the sesame seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. I didn't have enough oatmeal in the recipe I first posted. It should be 16 cups of oatmeal. My apologies.

    ReplyDelete